TiZip® Zippers are a high-quality, airtight zipper that are used on many MRS packrafts. However, like any zipper, they can experience wear and tear over time. Here are some tips on how to maintain your TiZip® zipper to prevent leaking and zipper hydrolysis:
- Clean and lubricate the zipper regularly. Use a fine brush, mild detergent and water to clean the zipper. If lubrication is necessary, make sure to use the original TIZIP® lubricant or a comparable product. This will help to keep the zipper moving smoothly and prevent it from sticking.
- Dry the raft thoroughly after each use. Wetness can cause the TPU coating on the zipper to deteriorate, which can lead to leaking. Be sure to dry the raft completely before storing it.
- Store the raft in a cool, dry place. Heat and humidity can also accelerate the deterioration of the TPU coating, so it's important to store the raft in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid folding the zipper in wet conditions. Folding the zipper when it's wet can put stress on the TPU coating and cause it to break down. If you need to fold the raft, be sure to do so when it's dry.
If you follow these tips, you can help to keep your TiZip® zipper on your MRS packraft in good condition for many years to come.
You can find more storage, cleaning and maintenance tips on the TiZip® website.
What is zipper hydrolysis?
Zipper hydrolysis is a chemical reaction that can occur when the TPU coating on a TiZip zipper comes into contact with water. This reaction can cause the TPU coating to break down, which can lead to leaking.
How can I tell if my TiZip® has zipper hydrolysis?
There are a few signs that your TiZip® zipper on your MRS packraft may have zipper hydrolysis. These signs include:
- The zipper may be leaking air.
- The zipper may be stiff or difficult to open and close.
- The zipper may have discolored or become brittle.
Images of leaking Tizip® zipper provided by users
Video showing the leaking Tizip® due to zipper hydrolysis
If I think my TiZip® has zipper hydrolysis, what should I do?
If you think your TiZip® zipper on your MRS packraft has zipper hydrolysis, you should Contact Us. We will be able to assess the damage and recommend the best course of action.
Please be aware that Tizip® does not offer warranty coverage for hydrolysis issues.
However, we could replace the zipper for you if needed. Alternatively, if you prefer, we can remove the zipper and patch the hull for you. The cost of shipping, processing and labor is around $200.